Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2014

23 Days ~ 5 Countries ~ 1 Backpack

Packing for my current semester-long study abroad experience at Coventry University in England was difficult enough! In the past I have been known to completely over pack. Yet, I am very proud of myself that I was able to leave for the airport in January with one large checked bag, a backpacking bag as a carry-on, and a normal backpack as my personal item. I have managed extremely well with the items that I brought over. There are very few items that have not been used to their full potential. Furthermore, I am very thankful that my parents were not only able to bring a few summer essentials to Europe on their visit, but they were also able to bring home many winter essentials.

At the end of May, I had to pack for a 23 day backpacking adventure across England, France, Italy, Austria, and Slovenia. 23 days!!! 5 countries!!! 1 backpack!!! This felt impossible at the time considering the various weather conditions I was expecting and planned activities ranging from hiking to fancy dinners. While I accepted the challenge and managed to survive throughout the trip, there are aspects that I would have changed about my packing decisions. Most importantly, I wish I would have condensed what I brought knowing the shopping that was going to occur. On my flight back to England I had to pay an extra 60 euros because my bag was too big to carry onto the plane... oops...

Below is all of the items I managed to fit in the backpacking bag, thanks to the vacuum seal bags!!


1. Deuter Aircontact women's backpacking bag, waterproof backpacking bag cover, tote, satchel, vacuum seal packing bags

2. 2 long sleeve shirts, a quarter length shirt, 3 t-shirts, 4 tank-tops and 2 blouses *should have condensed!!!

3. A dress and 4 cardigans/cover-ups *should have thought to bring thinner layers

4. A pair of jeans, navy blue jeggings, black leggings, maxi-skirt and 2 cotton skirts *should have taken out the black skirt and navy jeggings

5. Cosmetic essentials

6. Workout leggings, shorts, athletic zip-up, 2 t-shirts and 2 tank-tops

7. NorthFace zip-up, rain jacket, and peacoat *Should have left the peacoat, way to bulky!

8. Hat, gloves, 3 scarves, belt, 3 headbands, sunglasses and umbrella *should have taken out warm scarf and hat

9. Ipad, travel pillow, bike lock, chargers and converter, passport, cards and camera with extra battery

No comments:

Post a Comment