Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Austria and sLOVEnia


Day 17-18: Salzburg, Austria
On the 17th day of my European Backpacking Adventure, I had to say my final goodbye to my time with family. Early in the morning, my mom and I parted ways. She was heading to the airport to catch her flight back to Minnesota and and found my way to the bus station to begin my journey to Austria. After waiting in an empty parking lot for an hour and getting very nervous, I finally found the correct bus connecting my route together. The bus drove me to Villach, where I connected with a train heading to Salzburg. About six hours later I made it to my hostel and jumped into the arms of my new traveling buddy and roommate from university in the States, Ana.

That evening we sat down at a lovely Italian restaurant for wine and pasta. We then roamed around the city of Salzburg, taking in the beautiful views and cultural history. Mirabell Gardens, one of the Sound of Music featured locations in Salzburg, was the most impressive when it came to the abundance and beauty of flowers. I was informed of the beauty during this time of year, but I was blown away! Grandma Linda, you would have been in heaven here!

Our full day in Salzburg was very packed and eventful. We woke up early and joined a large group of other tourists on a Sound of Music Tour within Salzburg and the countryside. We saw many important places within the movie and learned a lot of detailed information that I did not remember. Many avid fans of the Sound of Music were on our tour and we were entertained by their singing. I am not sure if the tour was worth the money that I spent, but I am still glad I had the experience. Once we returned from the tour we ventured to the Hohensalzburg Fortress where we were able to take in a panoramic view of the entire city. We then hiked to a modern art museum. Ana and I are both very interested in art and we were very excited for this art museum. Throughout the exhibits there were extremely sexual and disturbing images and videos. We tried to understand and think outside the box, but we just didn't get it... We were disappointed... Oh well.. We had a wonderful day, but I would have enjoyed it more with better weather. Unfortunately, the weather was foggy and a little cold. I shouldn't be complaining about weather because I have been extremely fortunate on my trip, but it was a bummer.

Day 19: Traveling to Slovenia
Traveling from Austria to Slovenia was one of the most stressful, confusing, and longest days of my travel experience! After breakfast we left for the train station to find out that the ticket I had purchased was for two days early. With twenty minutes until the our desired train left, I as in line to speak with OBB Information. The man I spoke with was an angel sent from heaven! I was originally needing to purchase a whole new ticket for 78 euro, but he worked his magic. He gave me a stamp on my expired ticket and informed me that it would work as long as the conductor accepted it. So we gave it a try and got to the train just in time! My ticket was accepted!! The ticket was in all German, so we had a little difficult time understanding our full journey. Throughout the two trains and two buses we took to get to Piran, I can't tell you how many people we asked!! It was a little difficult to find someone who spoke English and understood the transportation. Yet, whenever we did get help, the people were beyond friendly! Once we finally got to Piran, the sun was setting. So, we had to find some wifi to get a better understanding of where our hostel was. We stopped in a cafe with incredible smoothies and received great advice. Unfortunately for us, our hostel was all uphill... Then we met a city bus driver on his break that offered to drive us for free on his route, just leaving, halfway to where we needed to go! Free transportation and it was with a bunch of people so it was safe too!! By the time we arrived at the Trumpet and Cloud Hostel it was dark and we were still waiting for another friend to arrive. Luckily she made it about an hour later! The hostel was so great! It ended up that there were a bunch of international students staying there for their Erasmus program. We were the only tourists and we had the best room in the house! Right outside our room was a giant belcony overlooking Slovenia and the Adriatic Sea. When the sky was clear, we could see part of Croatia!

Our first moment of relief as we finished our day of traveling and arrived in Piran to watch the sunset
Day 20: Piran, Slovenia
My day touring the lovely city of Piran was beyond all my expectations! There weren't any huge tourist attractions or swarms of tourists wandering about. Ana, Hannah, and myself simply spent the day hiking the hills, walking the streets, and taking in the beautiful views Piran had to offer. That evening we made our way up to it's historic city walls for the sunset. The little peninsula in the Adriatic Sea reminded me much of Italy! I would go back in a heartbeat!


Overlooking the city of Piran
Day 21: Portaroz, Slovenia
The next day we made our way to the other side of the mountain, Portaroz. This was definitely the tourist side of the peninsula. There were beach resorts, clubs, restaurants, and many public beaches and swimming areas all along the coast. We bought some food and wine at a local market and spent the day by the water. It was a much needed relaxing day in the sun! For dinner, we made our way back to a Piran local restaurant that was highly recommended by some local friends we met. It was delicious and fresh! We even tried a local orange drink, but we were not a fan.

Day 22: Ljubljana, Slovenia
By bus, we made our way to the capital of Slovenia by early afternoon. Here we met up with two more friends. In the afternoon, we had the opportunity to roam the city. We even made it up to the Ljubljana Fortress for a tour and beautiful view of the city. For dinner we found a Friday Food Market with a variety of dinner and drink selections. For my final night of my European adventure, we went out into town.

Day 23: Homebound
My backpacking adventure across Europe was such a wonderful experience, but I was ready to get back to Coventry! I took an early morning bus to the train station with my already checked-in ticket in hand. Upon arrival I found out I had to check my backpacking bag for 60 euros... Not a great way to end the trip, but it had to be done. Once arriving at the London Luton Airport, I took a bus back to Coventry. It was so great to walk back into my room and reunite with my study abroad group:)

Can't wait for my next backpacking trip across Europe!! There are so many more countries and cities I want to visit!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment