Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

A Guide to the European Cheek Kiss

Living abroad has opened my eyes to the vital need to understand European cultures and customs. One major custom that keeps catching me off guard is the cheek kiss. 

We have become friends with some French international students, and the cheek kiss is very habitual in their culture. Just a few days after meeting these students, we saw a few outside of a club that we were at. As we approached one another, the guys shook hands. One of the men then walked up to me and went in for the cheek kiss... Yup you guessed it, this is when the embarrassment began. As he went in for the cheek kiss, I jumped backwards in confusion. As everyone began to laugh at me, I instantly realized my mistake. The French then explained their custom and we did a re-do. Hahaha. Don't worry, I haven't had an incident like that since. I am still getting used to it, but I have made a tremendous improvement.


How do you know who to kiss? When is it appropriate? Do you start with the left cheek or the right?  Or do you hug? Or is it just a handshake? Talk about social anxiety!!! When in doubt, let the other person take the lead.

UK
The cheek kiss is not very common in the UK. The handshake or nod is the safest form of greeting.


France
Kissing is a way of life and multiple kisses are normal. Kissing always begins on the left cheek first. Paris adopted a four kiss greeting, but the students we met from Paris only display a two kiss greeting. The two kiss greeting seems to be the most common. Yet, it all depends on where you are in France.

Italy
Italy seems to be very confusing when it comes to the rules of the cheek kiss. It seems as if kissing is restricted to close friends or family. 

Spain
The two kiss ritual beginning on the right cheek seems to be consistent throughout Spain.

Germany
The German cheek kiss is restricted to family and very close friends. The handshake is more predominate.

No comments:

Post a Comment