Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

British vs. American Spelling - How Perplexing?!?!

There are several differences between British and American spelling. I have learned that the British English has tended to reflect other languages spelling while American English tends to reflect how the word is actually pronounced. Every day it seems that I recognise new differences! My computer has even transitioned to the British spell check! This has helped when it comes to my schoolwork and internship, but makes things difficult when communicating back home. So if my blog has words spelt weird, it may just be the British spelling that my computer corrected.

Here are some of the main differences that I have found:

1. Words ending in -re vs. -er
UK ~ US
Centre ~ Center
Litre ~ Liter
Theatre ~ Theater

2. Words ending in -our vs. -or
UK ~ US
Colour ~ Color
Flavour ~ Flavor
Humour ~ Humor

3. Z does not exist!!!
UK ~ US
-sation vs. -zation
Organisation ~ Organization
-ise vs. -ize
Organise ~ Organize
-yse vs. -yze
Analyse ~ Analyze

4. Words ending in -ence vs. -ense
UK ~ US
Defence ~ Defense
Offence ~ Offense
Licence ~ License

5. Words ending in -ogue vs. og
UK ~ US
Catalogue ~ Catalog
Dialogue ~ Dialog

No comments:

Post a Comment