Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Perfect Getaway to York


York was beautiful and had an abundance amount of history! One aspect that I was disappointed with was that it cost money to tour almost all historical locations and museums. The York City Art Gallery was the only free exhibition that I was actually really excited for. Yet, when we arrived, we found out that it was closed until 2015... How inconvenient!

Despite these discrepancies, I had the most wonderful day!

At 8am Saturday morning, I hopped on a bus with the Let's Go program through Coventry University for a 2 1/2 hour ride to York. Zane, Joey, Chris and I all joined in on this trip, but we all had different plans for the day. It was the perfect day for an adventure on my own.

I began by touring the Museum Gardens with various ruins, the York Observatory, and much more. I then found my way to one of the three old city walls for a wonderful walk. These walls have defended the city since the Roman times. After finding my way to the end of the first city walls, I found my way to the Eye of York and Clifford's Tower. Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised by an enormous crowd of protesters, college students, policemen monitoring. I grabbed some free tea and pea soup from one of the protest groups and learned about what was happening. They informed me that they will often have peaceful political protests about government budget cuts on social reform.

Next, I made my way through all of the shopping streets including the famous area, The Shambles. Being without the boys, I had my fair share of window shopping and dreaming about shopping sprees with my mom:) Being a college exchange student, I don't exactly have the extra cash to shop as I please. Oh well, I will take these adventures and memories over shopping anytime!! Yet, I did find myself at a chocolate shop at an outdoor market and couldn't resist. I bought truffles of all flavors!! Yummy!

After finding the York Minster, I came across the cutest cupcakery! It was a great opportunity to relax and enjoy an amazing red velvet cupcake. I also had the opportunity to talk to a few locals enjoying cupcakes of their own. I received great advice on where locals enjoy eating dinner and the best vintage shops. After lots of rummaging through vintage shops and even ripping my jeans in the process, I found the perfect brown leather vintage satchel!!! Greatest day ever!! Only 4.75!! To celebrate my great victory I helped myself to some incredible local pizza to end my trip.


View of Eye of York and political protests from the Clifford's Tower
The York Minster 
Crumbs Cupcakery
View of York Minster from City Walls

No comments:

Post a Comment