Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

We've Hit the Halfway Mark!!!

Today is the official halfway mark for my study abroad experience... strange! I can remember arriving in Dublin, Ireland, for our pre-travel like it was yesterday. There was so much anxiety and excitement for what was in store for me. I had so many different expectations for everything and I can honestly say that I have been pleasantly blown away! Of course, there have been bumps in the road, but I am so thankful for my experience so far! 

Thinking back on these last 63 days, I am just amazed of the memories I have created! I have had the opportunity to travel all around the United Kingdom, join the Coventry Women's Basketball team, make friends with people from around the world, gain real life marketing experience in a new culture, learn Harvard Style writing, make many cultural mistakes and learn from them, expand my chef abilities, eat pigs blood (black pudding), get my ear pierced, enjoy the pub life, realize I can't stay up late enough for the English clubbing culture, splurge on a little shopping and so much more!!!!! 

Yet, it is not just about the memories. This journey has also led to much personal growth. By being immersed into the culture of Coventry, I feel that I have gained a better understanding of not only my own culture in America and Minnesota, but also the cultures of the diverse population here. The way in which education, work, sport and social run in England has many differences than what I am used to. I have learned to adapt, accept, and even enjoy some of the differences. My experiences so far have impacted me for the better and I look forward to how they will influence the rest of my time here abroad as well as my future.

It is sad to think that it is half over, but I am looking forward to everything in store for me within the next 63 days before flying back to the states! We are currently in the process of planning our St. Patrick's Day Weekend, possibly going to London and the Harry Potter Studios or Manchester. The following weekend I will be taking a day trip to Cardiff with the Lets Go program from Coventry University. On March 25th my dad will be arriving in England. He will being doing some work in Coventry and spending a little bit of time with me as well! On March 28th the whole gang arrives! My dad and I will be meeting up with my mom, two brothers and grandparents on my mom's side in London. We will be visiting London, Bath, Stonehenge and Warwick castle in England then make our way to France to visit Normandy Beach and Paris. My mother and I will then begin a girls week in Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice, Italy. Sending my mom off on April 13th back to the states, I am hoping to be leaving on a train to Salzburg, Austria to meet up with one of my roommates, Ana. From there I will head home to Coventry for a day of recuperation before flying out to Groningen, Holland for another Management Game with the SEM Department on April 21st. We will return to Coventry on the 25th to prepare for exams and papers. Yeah, it's not all fun and games. During an open few days we may be traveling with our exchange group and director to Scotland for some mountain biking. Then, on May 11th the Coventry Women's Basketball team will be in a tournament that I will be able to be apart of. Finally, on May 13th I will be heading to Waco, Texas to reunite with my boyfriend for (hopefully) the last time after 4 years of long distance!! After his graduation, packing up, and a little traveling, we will road trip back home to Minnesota for the summer. WOW!! I am exhausted just thinking about the craziness to come within these next few months!

Let the second half of my adventure begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment